Friday 25 January 2013

Teaching and Being Taught Thai



It has been almost two weeks since I wrote my last post. I feel like so much has happened, that I've had to go back and review what I've already said. Even though time travels fast when you're having fun, I'm enjoying myself and I still feel I've been here for ages and known some of the volunteers for much longer than a couple weeks. With that said, I'll start from where I left off...
            After my last post, we were driven to the small community where Julia (from Denmark), Sabine (from Australia) and I were supposed to be teaching for the week. We arrived at the house to find that it was completely empty - no beds, no kitchen tools, nothing. We found it strange and started preparing ourselves to be sleeping on the tile floor. Luckily the neighbour informed our driver that they had moved the volunteer accommodation into the school (remember that Western toilet I mentioned? Turns out the landlord took advantage and decided to raise the rent, so the school didn't want to pay it anymore...Very sneaky). Anyway, after being shuffled around, we ended up at a teacher's house who was emptying out one of her kids' rooms for us. It seemed a little sketchy so we made a call and long story short, we ended up back at the Walker's Inn in Khao Lak. Though we were disappointed about not seeing something new, we definitely couldn't complain. We had just been lined up for another week of resort crashing and amazing food. Because there are so many holidays in Thai schools, we only actually taught a couple days that week, but they were definitely rewarding. We also visited a local orphanage (Enya - the little girl I talked about in my last post - came with us and was our official teacher's assistant. Very handy). It was actually very impressive. The orphanage had set up a coffee shop where you could buy different coffees and cakes, and all proceeds went towards the kids. We gave an English lesson, and then watched the kids show off their dance moves to Gangnam Style (they were even doing back flips!!!). I then had my ass handed to me at pingpong by a kid playing with a book... The week was pretty laid back, and we quickly established our favourite spots in Khao Lak: we found a Scandinavian candy store (for the tourists), and a gelato shop that even sells green tea frapps!!! I'm in heaven (obviously I've been back to this place several times)!!!
            We decided to make our weekend a little more eventful and started with a trip to the MooMoo Cabaret show. Yes, the ladyboy show. Honestly, it was slightly disappointing. They lipsync and dance, but it's nothing spectacular, and we all agreed to leave early and go to a bar... Solution to any problem? Thai whisky!
            The next morning I went scuba diving! I was a little worried because I've had a hard time recovering from an ear infection I got almost two years ago in Dominican, but I thought I'd at least try it out and see. We went to a site called BoonSung wreck - a shipwreck that has broken into several pieces, partially because of the tsunami. The dives were definitely successful and we saw quite a lot: rockfish, porcupine fish, lion fish, stingrays, cuttlefish, catfish, barracudas, lots of eels, different kinds of shrimp and other weird invertebraes. There were also TONS of schools of fish. There were literally times where you had to part the fish to swim forwards. I was surprised though by the lack of colour. I wasn't sure if it was because of bleaching or just the wreck itself, but there was a lot of grey and brown. I'm excited to dive on the other side of Thailand though to compare!!!
            On Sunday, a big group of us decided it was time to get out of Khao Lak, and went on a daytrip to Khao Sok National Park. Apparently, this is the oldest rainforest in the world, and is located about an hour north of Khao Lak. We started by visiting a local market; as usual, I was one of the few who had no issues with loading up on yummy street food and local fruit. We then went river rafting along a river where we fed the fish (every time you through in food, a swarm of them would flap out of the water...HILARIOUS). We also spotted some sleeping snakes along the way. We headed to our next stop for lunch. It was kinda random, but it turns out that an Olympic Thai boxer's family owns the restaurant where all the tour groups go, so you meet him, get a boxing demo, and get to take photos with him and his medal. Next we visited a monkey temple. Basically what happens is the tour vans get there, and the people start 'summoning' the monkeys down from the trees. They then give you fruit to feed them and a ton of monkeys swarm you for food. I sometimes wonder how people come up with these tourism ideas, but there you go. Last on our tour was the infamous elephant trekking. I have to admit, I was a little skeptical about this one because animal abuse is something that I just can't and don't tolerate. It just gets to me. Fortunately, it seemed fairly reasonable, and I didn't witnessed any elephants being hit or tortured. Sabine and I paired up and all the elephants started trekking up a ravine. It was completely terrifying at some points because you're sitting on a metal bench tied in by a string and an elephant is tipping up and down steep hills. It's basically like that nightmare of falling off a chairlift come to life. Sabine and I hung on to eachother for dear life, but all we could really do is break out into hysterical laughter. We took turns riding on the elephant's head, where your legs secured behind the elephant's ears is the only thing holding you on.
            When we found out that we would be heading to the 'luxury hotel' with the other volunteers for the next week, we were relieved, and SUPER excited to see something new. It's actually amazing here: we have AC, TV, a fridge, and a normal hot shower. All the luxuries of home!
            We've now been teaching for a couple days and I think(?) we have the hang of it. I've realized that I'm actually quite a confident teacher. I think all those years in acting really helped (plus, I'm sure teaching in Tanzania and Peru didn't hurt either). I'm also using similar methods to the ones that were used for me to learn French in school, and they're working really well. The challenge for me is adjusting to Thai customs. There are so many little rules that you have to follow related to their religion and social statuses. The one that I still haven't mastered is that you can't point at someone. It's considered deeply disrespectful, but it's such a habit of mine! You also can't show the bottom of your feet, you can't touch a child's head, and of course you must cover your shoulders and knees at all times. You also have to endure the school lunches which are less than appealing, but there is no alternative. We've resorted to bringing a backup supply of cookies from 7-Eleven. It's definitely an adjustment, but the kids are respectful and enthusiastic about learning, so you can't really ask for more.


            After this week, we're headed back to Walker's and I think I've finally hatched a plan for at least the next few weeks. A couple of volunteers from Scotland and I have decided to travel together for now. Next week, we're headed to the islands Ko Phi Phi and Ko Lanta. We are then headed to...Singapore! We needed to leave the country to get our visas renewed and extended, so we decided to make a trip out of it. As of today, we've booked our flights. One of the girls has a friend there, so we'll even have a tour guide. We are then planning to head back and finish up the islands before heading up North to Chiang Mai. I have to say, I'm a little relieved that I've met some people to travel with, and I can't even begin to imagine how many people I will still meet on this trip. It's really amazing to be constantly introduced to travelers from around the world! Anyway, I'm excited for the next few weeks of adventures!

P.S. I just ran home in my first torrential-down-pour-thunderstorm in Thailand. Note to self: Don't do that again!

No comments:

Post a Comment